Payment Obligations, Renewals, and Cancellations
- 1. Website Development Payment Obligations: A down payment is required in order to begin development of your website. This is usually 50% of the upfront design fee, unless an alternative contract or proposal specifies a different amount. The outstanding balance on your website is due after the design, navigation and pages have been approved and built. Final payment is due regardless of whether all content for the pages has been sent by the client. This provision is in place to encourage the client to get content submitted promptly so that their site can go live. It also ensures that Gharuda Softwares gets paid for performing their duty under the proposal, despite tardy content from the client. After payment, Gharuda Softwares will still post outstanding content AT NO CHARGE for 3 months. In the event an "under construction" page is posted due to missing content, Gharuda Softwares will post ONE copy of any text/pictures on existing pages only, for up to 3 months after publish date. After the three months have expired, content posted to site will be billable at our current regular hourly rate. In the event that design and navigation changes are requested after they have been specifically approved by the client, these changes will be billable at our current regular hourly rate.
- 2. Website Development Cancellation: If site design and development work has already begun (such as creating a design concept), then the down payment is non-refundable. Gharuda Softwares my elect at its sole discretion to offer a partial refund depending upon the circumstances.
- 3. Description of Ongoing Costs: There are 2 types of ongoing costs: domain registration and hosting.
- Domain name registration: This cost recurs annually. Domain name registration gives you exclusive rights to a certain name, such as www.mygroup.org, so that you can use it for your web-based purposes. You are NOT required to register a domain through us, but we strongly PREFER that you do. Many services are not honest in the way they sell names and we spend a lot of time helping people re-secure rights to the name they thought they had already purchased. If you have registered your own name, make sure you have yourself as the Registrant and Administrative Contact with a current, easily accessible email address. This will help to ensure that your domain can be renewed or transferred should the need arise. Domain name registration fees are not refundable.
- Hosting: This cost recurs annually. Hosting places the domain name on a particular server connected to the web, which allows you to post a website for viewing through a browser. You are NOT required to host through us, but we strongly PREFER that you do. Hosting comes with domain-based emails, bandwidth, storage space, database and security tools, and other features. Projects that involve custom programming must be hosted with Gharuda Softwares to ensure the programs that we write will work. If you want to host your site on another server this must be disclosed before we begin programming.
- Hosting Renewal Payment Obligations: Your hosting account will be automatically renewed under the same time and fee structure unless you give written notice to Gharuda Softwares fifteen (15) days before the renewal date that you do not wish to renew the account.
- Sites NOT Hosted by Gharuda Softwares: Should client decide to host their site on another server, Gharuda Softwares cannot guarantee the all elements of the site will work. Gharuda Softwares will make a reasonable effort to research the problem on the foreign platform to let the client know what we think the problem is. However, we cannot take responsibility for problems caused by or on another hosting server, including but not limited to email, FTP, SSL, database, server software, and site security issues. If Gharuda Softwares believes it will take a significant amount of time to fix the problem, we will advise the client before proceeding. In most cases, fixing problems on a foreign hosting server is billable.
- 4. Website Maintenance: There are no required maintenance fees other than domain registration and hosting. Most people do some work on their site every year, for which we offer several plans. We can make certain parts of the site updatable by you by implementing a custom Content Management System, or installing a blog. For work we do on the site after going live, we charge on an hourly basis. If you expect that maintenance will be a regular occurrence, you can buy a prepaid maintenance contract that affords a discounted hourly rate. If need be, we can customize a maintenance plan for your particular needs, but no plan is required.
- 5. Website Maintenance Payment Obligations: Depending upon the nature of the website changes, prepayment may be required. Should the client be invoiced after the changes are completed, the invoice is due upon reciept. If payment is not received within 30 days, the maintenance changes may be taken down until payment is received.
- 1. Homepage Design : Once the site design is approved by the client, usually via email consent, the design is considered ready for implementation. Should the client wish to make changes to a design they have approved, those changes are billable at our standard hourly rate.
- 2. Navigation : Once site outline/map is approved by the client, usually via email consent, the site navigation is considered ready for implementation. Combined with the approved graphic design, this becomes the site structure. Once we build this structure per client approval, any subsequent changes are billable at our standard hourly rate.
- 3. Content : Provision of content is customer responsibility, unless specifically negotiated ahead of time as part of the project proposal.
- Text content - Copy for all website pages and links needs to be delivered digitally and should be carefully proof-read by the client. Two rounds of revisions will be provided free of charge. Subsequent revisions will be billable at our regular hourly rate.
- Copy development : Should client wish Gharuda Softwares to develop content for the site, website copy is billable at our regular hourly rate. Development of copy is accomplished via Gharuda Softwares Web Development interviewing the client about the topic areas to be addressed on their web pages. Gharuda Softwares then composes appropriate copy, submits to the client for review, edit, and approval. Approved copy is then posted to the web pages.
- Graphical content - Images outside of the website design must be provided in digital form or in a form that can be easily scanned, unless otherwise provided for in customer contract. Subsequent revisions will be billable at our regular hourly rate.
- 4. Database Implementation : Entry of data for database applications is considered client responsibility. Entry of data by Gharuda Softwares is billable, unless otherwise provided for in customer contract.
- 5. Email - We offer free domain-based email accounts to our clients as part of any hosting contract. If site is not hosted by Gharuda Softwares, we take no responsibility for setting up and troubleshooting email problems.
- 6. Training : For websites with administrative control panels or content management systems, two (2) one-hour training sessions will be provided.
- 7. Technical Support - We offer local and long-distance phone support to our clients. We do not normally bill for technical support depending on the source of the problem, its severity, and our time invested. If Gharuda Softwares is not the source of the problem, technical support may be billable.
Training and Tutorials
- Because customer service is in integral part of our business strategy, all of our projects include a one-time complimentary training session in order for our clients to better make use of their new web technology. Additional training hours can be purchased at our standard hourly rate or applied against your existing maintenance contract.
Websites with Proprietary Source Code
- Should client contract with Gharuda Softwares to write custom code for a website application, this code is not transferable to a new developer or host. Custom written source code is considered the property of Gharuda Softwares Web Development and cannot be shared with other developers. Clients are granted a license to use custom software code while on Gharuda Softwares servers only. Gharuda Softwares Web Development retains ownership of the code.
- In some cases, Gharuda Softwares will install software for the client’s use that has been built by a third party. Examples include Wordpress blog software, FCK editor software, shopping carts, photo galleries, etc. In these instances, clients will be subject to the terms and conditions of the third party who owns the software, and may use the software as a licensee only. No ownership rights of any kind are transferred to the client.
- Access to or transfer of proprietary source code could result in a security risk to Gharuda Softwares and its clients who are running similar pieces of code. In order to provide custom software development services, clients give us access to private and/or sensitive information, trade secrets, proprietary pricing and business methods. If clients believed that we may be sharing this information with outside developers, they could lose faith that we are protecting their proprietary information. Therefore, neither access nor transfer of any code built for any purpose that is unique and not commonly and publicly available can be granted. Should client want us to build software to run on another server, it must be disclosed upfront and specifically contracted for.
- Gharuda Softwares Web Development maintains and troubleshoots the websites we develop for our clients, as well as any domain-based email accounts of those websites. We do NOT assume responsibility for upkeep or provide non-billable troubleshooting on our clients' ISPs (Internet Service Providers), ISP-based email accounts (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, etc), your home or office internet connections, or any other non-domain-based issues outside Gharuda Softwares Web Development's realm of service. Provision of non-domain-based troubleshooting services will be billable at our normal hourly rate.